October Executive Report
Oct. 20, 2008
FSNE Multimedia Workshop Dec. 13
The FSNE board has scheduled its next multimedia skills workshop Dec. 13 at the University of Miami and voted to decrease contest fees from $30 to $25 per entry.
The Saturday UM workshop will offer courses on video, audio, blogs, graphics, online story planning, ethics, social networking, and spreadsheets and databases. Program details and signup information will be posted shortly on the Flpress.com web site. A Central Florida workshop will be March 21 at USF in Tampa.
The FSNE board recognizes that members are seeking ways to contain or reduce expenses. Accordingly, FSNE has reduced the contest entry fee to $25 from $30, for all three divisions, including Spanish-language and online, effective for the 2009 contest. The hope is that members will be able to maintain their level of contest entries.
FSNE Board Meeting
The FSNE board had its quarterly meeting Oct. 6 at the Poynter Institute in Rays-crazy St. Petersburg.
Board initiatives underway include: recruitment of online/blogger members who are independent of newspapers; planning for an enhanced FSNE web site; an earlier than normal audit of Sunshine compliance concerning email; exploration of new revenue sources for FSNE work.
We hope this helps with your 2009 budgeting and that it enables you to continue to enter the FSNE contest in a significant way.
- Membership Committee (Rosemary, JimB, Tony Fins): Contact members in dues arrears; send dues letter by end of year to existing and prospective members; solicit new online/blogger members who are independent of newspapers with help from JimB; contact TV news directors about linking with FSNE.
- Contest Committee (Jbart, Rafael, Terry): Implement proposed contest changes detailed in October minutes. Report at Jan. board meeting.
- Online Committee (Rick, Martin Frobisher, Bill McKeen): Work on electronic entry and payment form for contest; recommend short and long-term enhancements by end of year, including blog, open government and other important topics to be highlighted and enhanced. Report at Jan. board meeting.
- Training Committee (Rick, Gil, JimB, Bill McKeen, Gail Bulfin): Dec. 13 UM workshop and March 21 USF workshop.
- FOI Committee (Cory and Mike): Drive October audit.
- Gil: Follow up with Dean on our accounting arrangements with FPA; Convention planning (focus on economy and multimedia training for editors at PB Post, help from Bill on Tom Wolfe as speaker, possibly Jay Rosen. Report at Jan. board meeting.
- DCF workshops: Jbart
- Strategic Committee (Mark, Jeanne, Terry): new revenues. Report at Jan. board meeting.
- Grants Committee: Gil, Keith, Terry. Report at Jan. board meeting.
Clendinen Professor, University of South Florida
Executive Director, Florida Society of Newspaper Editors