The Paul Hansell Award for Distinguished Achievement in Florida Journalism
Deadline to enter: April 5, 2013
The Paul Hansell Award for Distinguished Achievement in Florida Journalism will be presented at the Florida Society of News Editors annual convention during a luncheon Friday, July 19 at the JW Marriott Grand Lakes in Orlando. The contest is open to all individuals who write for a Florida newspaper. The winner receives $1,000.
The late Paul Hansell was a long-time Associated Press bureau chief in Florida and a former member of FSNE.
Deadline for the contest is 11:59 p.m. April 5, 2013. The rules are simple:
* The award is for overall excellence in reporting and writing, either news or editorials, by an individual writing for a Florida newspaper. Judges will pay particular attention to the sum of a writer’s work, its range and diversity.
* For purposes of judging, each entry is limited to 10 articles. However, entries may include additional back-up materials to give judges an overview of the scope of the writer’s work.
* Newspapers must submit FOUR copies of each individual entry. Each newspaper may submit a maximum of two entries.
* The material submitted must have been published in a Florida newspaper during the 12 months ending Dec. 31, 2012. If the work has extended over a longer period, it must have included significant development during the last 12 months.
* Entries should be mounted on letter-size paper and enclosed in four standard file folders, each identified with the name of the paper and the name of the writer.
* The entry fee is $50, payable to FSNE.
* Entries must be received by 5 p.m. on Friday, April 5, 2013. Send entries to:
The Paul Hansell Award
c/o Bob Gabordi
P.O. Box 990
Tallahassee, FL 32302
FSNE Vice President